Drinking Water Warning Amid Parasite Fears
londonbdnews24: Thousands of people in northwest England are being advised to boil their drinking water, after traces of parasites were found in the supply. Cryptosporidium, which can cause diarrhoea, stomach cramps and vomiting, was detected during routine tests at a water treatment works in Preston. United Utilities is urging customers to boil the water they need for drinking, preparing food and brushing their teeth "as a precaution until further notice". Residents in Blackpool, Preston, Chorley, Fylde, Wyre and South Ribble are affected, and the safety warning will likely be in place throughout Friday. The supplier says it is still safe to wash clothes and bathe as normal. Martin Padley, the chief scientific officer for United Utilities, said: "We apologise for the inconvenience but the health of our customers is absolutely paramount." Those affected are being urged to tell elderly relatives and neighbours about the water warning.